Quilted Burp Cloths
Hi friends, today I am showing you how to create custom quilted burp cloths using your own combination of solids or patterned fabrics. A go to gift for baby showers is always a set of custom burp cloths. They are so easy to make, a very useful item and you can coordinate the colors to match the child's nursery or diaper bag. A set to match the parent's living room are also a nice touch because you know how these things end up all over the house.
- Moda Grunge Basics - 1/4 yd in each color Pool / Sapphire / Yellow Gold / Tangerine
- Moda Cuddle Cloth - 1/2 yard
- Quilt batting scraps - 4 cut
- Basting Spray
- Sewing Machine and Notions (straight pins, rotary cutter, cutting mat, acrylic ruler)
- Coordinating thread
- Walking Foot is optional but recommended
- Cut your fabrics into strips measuring 9" x varying widths.
- At your machine sew your fabric strips into a rectangle measuring around 17" long.
- Once you are finished sewing your strips together into your rectangles we can now iron our seam allowances on the back. The easiest way to do this with so many seams is to iron the seam allowances in one direction.
- Once you are finished ironing your seams take your rectangles to your cutting mat and trim down to a size of 8" x 16.5".
- Take your Cuddle Cloth and cut into 4 pieces measuring 8" x 16.5".
- It is now time to baste your fabrics with your quilt batting. The easiest way to baste a smaller project is to use a basting spray, basting pins also work nicely. Cut your quilt batting scraps to measure 8" x 16.5". Place your quilted burp cloth piece on top, fold half over and spray your basting spray. Smooth the top down and fold the other half over, spray and smooth.
- Before adding your back Cuddle Cloth piece you will now go to your machine and stitch a straight line stitch along the seam of every other strip. We will finish sewing along the other strips once we add our backing in the next strip.
- To add your Cuddle Cloth you will place it face down on top of your quilted rectangle, pin around the edges to secure.
- Sew around the perimeter of the rectangle leaving an opening around 4" wide. This will be the opening you will turn everything right side out. Also snip the edges of your corners.
- Turn your burp cloth right side out and press. Fold in the opening edges and press before pinning, this will help you sew the opening closed.
- Stitch around the perimeter of the burp cloth starting at the opening.
- Now you can stitch a straight line along the seams of the remaining strips to secure the backing to the burp cloth.
You are finished! There should be enough materials to make 3 - 4 burp cloths that measure 7.5" x 16".
Play around with your strips of fabric - since I used four different colors I made two using the blues and the oranges and then one using all of the colors.
There are many ways you can package these up for gifting - roll them up or fold into thirds.
I hope you enjoyed today's tutorial - as always I love seeing all of your work so if you post your burp cloths on Instagram please make sure to tag me at @modernhandcraft so I can see them!
Thanks for stopping by friends,